Thursday, June 23, 2005

Daredevil's Turf

I'm still settling into my new Brooklyn home, so posting is going to stay light for a while. However, today I tested myself on the subway system by taking a solo flight to an almost random location: I decided to try and find the headquarters of Troma Films (makers of such classics as Tromeo & Juliet and the crime-fighting masterpiece The Toxic Avenger.

This trip took me into Hell's Kitchen, the historic home of Daredevil. And you know what? Bor-ing. I took a wrong turn at first and ended up at the theater where Mama Mia is playing. Mama Mia shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a place called Hell's Kitchen. According to my trusty copy of The Gangs of New York, Hell's Kitchen was first the name of a dive bar (other tales attribute the nickname to a cop who actually thought it was very warm in the neighborhood). The Hell's Kitchen Gang tore the damn place up for years.

But its clean now. Nice work, Daredevil!

Quick Quiz: Does Brooklyn have any superheroes?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... not that I can think of. Spidey's big scuffle with the Green Goblin, the one that killed Gwen Stacy, took place on the Brooklyn bridge. But I don't think any super heroes reside there. Did Aunt May live in Brooklyn?

What about Luke Cage? Or was he more of a Bronx guy?

-stvn

11:41 AM  
Blogger The Bookhouse Boy said...

I should rent Spiderman again.

Luke Cage = Harlem, natch.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Henry Garfield said...

Along with the natural passage of time, I think you can thank Rudi Giuliani for the disappearance of Hell’s Kitchen and similar areas. He really did “clean up” the town; New York is now a much safer place, and also a less interesting one. Hell, I hear white people can actually go to Harlem now and not get killed. Speaking of true crime, you should check out this obituary on the guy who founded one of the best crime-fighting publications in America, the St. Louis Evening Whirl:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/7F40EC2AD37D8E8986257029006CB565?OpenDocument

1:16 PM  
Blogger Henry Garfield said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:18 PM  
Blogger The Bookhouse Boy said...

Re: The death of Hell's Kitchen

According to The Westies, most of the gentrification of Hell's Kitchen into Clinton happened in the early '80s under Kotch, around the same time that the Westies all bit it on a RICO charge.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home