Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Even the crickets are shooting up ...


So, a little time has passed since the deaths of Mellie Carballo and Maria Pesantez ... and junkies have not dropped dead all over New York. Could it be that despite the hysteria there was no bad heroin on the loose in the city? Could it be that we had a string of overdoses featuring two attractive girls, and that was the news?

Well, yeah, probably. Crimes committed against the attractive get more attention (even though here it appears that the women committed the crimes against themselves). This is just a fact, and has been since at least The Black Dahlia. I know that some of my colleagues occasionally get flack because of the amount of attention that gets paid to pretty white missing women. I would say that this is a fair criticism of the current state of "true crime" in general, but I'd also note that this is my third post on these two girls. Sometimes having a pretty person become a victim is like a disease getting a celebrity spokesperson.

Here's a pretty interesting article on how to prevent heroin overdoses, courtesy of the Village Voice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Trench said...

The best way to prevent a heroin overdose is not to do heroin. But I guess that would be asking too much.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh heh, my thoughts exactly, trench.

I made a post at my site about the whole deal but I don't see a way to trackback, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

-Don

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home